Sound waves are used to produce images of your heart. This allows the doctor to see your heart beating and pumping blood. Your doctor can use the images to identify heart disease.
Depending on the need, you may have one of few types of echocardiograms.
Why you need an ECHO
We suggest an echocardiogram to find out
- Abnormal heart valves
- Pump function in patients with damaged heart muscle (after heart attacks)
- Pump function of the heart for people with heart failure
- Infection on heart valves (infective endocarditis)
- Fluid collections around the heart (pericardial effusion)
- Any Source of a blood clot after stroke
- Check for problems with the valves or chambers of your heart
- Check if heart problems are the cause of symptoms such as shortness of breath or chest pain